Sunday, April 14, 2013

three day potty training: a reflection

I've had a few emails asking about our three day potty training weekend and IF, our stubborn child is actually "potty trained."

Now, if you don't know me, I have very high expectations for what terms/phrases mean, especially in child rearing. For example, sleeping through the night = 12 hours. I hate when people tell me their child is sttn from 10pm-5am...lets be serious, what parent raising an infant wants to go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 5am? And really, what child should be going to bed at 10pm? ... or maybe I'm just bitter because 10-5 is a good night for my second born?

"Potty Training" to us Waelty's meant no longer using diapers. I've seen parents "potty training" for a year, going back and forth between diapers and underwear. I didn't/don't have the time or energy to be going back and forth. Plus, talk about mixed signals... (I'm sounding judge-y, and we mothers are supposed to be each others cheerleader, right? But really, I have no energy to do anything half-ass right now or to actually BE judge-y).

SO...YES, it totally, 100% worked! I believe Charlie is potty trained. Woohoo! To be honest, I was scared this day would never come. But it did!...after three incredibly hard days (I actually get a little anxiety thinking about having to repeat the process with Mack).

#1 is great. He tells us when he has to go pee or he just runs to the toilet. He also loves to pee outside, so we have a designated pee spot on the side of the house that is sheltered, you know, so we don't offend the neighbors.

#2 is still a bit of a struggle. He doesn't know when his body is telling him it is time to actually go...so we do go back and forth to the toilet several times before it comes out. He does make it in the toilet! But it is a pretty stressful process (for him and me) to get it out. Who knew learning to relax on the toilet was a thing?

He has had a few (3) #1 accidents, but only in the morning (between 6-7am) after being in bed for 12 hours. And, we are having a few power struggles at night...he is telling us he has to pee to get out of bed, but isn't actually going to bathroom. See, we have been incredibly blessed with a child who doesn't get out of bed unless we come into the room to get him and we really don't want that to change, so even if he has to pee, we would like for him to ask permission...which he does, excessively...

So yes, friends,we've beat the odds. Charlie Waelty is potty trained.

No comments: