Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Want.Need.Wear.Read

This our fourth year of doing our want, need, wear, read gift giving tradition. It is becoming more challenging BUT these boys definitely do not go without AND practicality persists...

If you would like to read more about our simple gift giving tradition or see what we've done in years past, here is 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Charlie
Want: This is tough. He's been telling me he's going to ask Santa for a horse stable. This is a toy that I don't really want in my house. Why? It's a space hog and I don't really see him playing with it. So I'm going to wait this one out and see if he changes his mind in the next few weeks. I'm torn because I don't want him to be disappointed, but it just seems like a silly choice.
Need: He's been on his balance bike for almost two years and has just recently outgrown it...it is time to move him to a two wheeler. We are buying it from a local store, but it is similar to this Specialized. [I know this seems a bit like a "want", but I'm sure this isn't really a change he wants to make. It's essentially a "have to" because it's bike weather year round out here and we're outside a lot.]
Wear: Our kids both needed slippers this year. We have bamboo floors throughout our house and they are always so cold on winter mornings. I ordered these for Charlie from Sorel. I think he'll love them because they are very similar to his daddy's.
Read: We decided to do Christmas books this year. I always loved pulling out our Christmas books, along with our decorations when we were trimming the tree. I hope the boys will pull these books year after year to enjoy during the holiday season. Charlie is getting Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck.

Mack
Want: Mack hasn't really communicated a "want" for anything but to be constantly held from the minute I get home until bedtime. But we chose these fruits and veggies. I know both boys will love these to play "farmer's market" or "grocery store" which we currently play with imaginary food.
Need: Mack's crib bedding (Charlie's old crib bedding) had seen better days. I chose this bumper for its firmness and these crib sheets for their softness.
Wear: Mack is also getting slippers, we choose these cute things from Garnet Hill Kids.
Read: For Mack's holiday book pick, we decided on God Gaves Us Christmas. It's a really great read on the "reason" for the season, without spoiling any Santa related news.

Charlie, will for the first time, be choosing gifts for others. He'll pack a gift box for our church to give out for their Bless a Child Project and choose a small gift to give his brother. I'm pretty sure he won't "get it" at all and walking into that toy store to pick out things for others is going to be tough...but the "reason" is the goal, right?

Cheers and Happy Holiday Season!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I think you are such a great mom. So much thought and love. Just wanted you to know that.

Erica said...

Thanks, Holly!